The Lecturer

>> Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The following script wasn't written by me, it's just a scene that I suffered from just few hours ago.

Date : 24-6-2009
Time : 6.00 pm - 8.00 pm
Venue: FOE CR2045
Characters: Student A, Student B, IS C ( IS stands for international student) , and the Lecturer ( I guess it's not proper to name him out, so I'll use the lecturer to represent him. )


The story started at 6.00 pm when The Lecturer came in. Everyone was restless, particularly those who has just attended Engineering Maths 5 class straight for 2 hours.

He started to explain the syllabus :

The Lecturer : Blah blah blah ... Ok now tell me what's Nyquist Sampling Theorem ? I remember I have taught you before.

Everyone started to look for the note.

The Lecturer : You? You? You? (Pointed to several students)

Everyone kept silent. Some of the students found the answer, which is fs > 2 fm.

The Lecturer : You don't give me equations. You are expected to explain the whole concept not just giving me what equals to what. It's a type of communication. You have to know how to communication with others. You, tell me what's Nyquist Sampling Theorem. (pointed to Student A)

Student A : Blah Blah Blah... (A simple equation of the takes over 20 words to describe it)

The Lecturer : It's not totally correct. Nyquist Sampling Theorem describes ......

He continued lecturing. About half an hour later,

The Lecturer :Blah Blah Blah ... To reduce quantization noise, you need large bandwidth or smaller bandwidth? You ? (Pointed to Student B)

Student B : Larger bandwidth.

The Lecturer : Why?

Student B : ....... ( Silence ) .......

The Lecturer : You know how to answer but you don't know how to explain? You come and sit in front.

Student B took his items and came to front seat grudgingly. The Lecturer then continued his teaching.

After for another half an hour, he gave us a short break for 10 minutes and then he continued.

The Lecturer : Blah blah blah ...... You all learned Analog Communication right? Now, tell me. What's the different between baseband signal and bandpass signal?

The class was in total silence again. Short after while,

IS C : Blah blah blah ...... ( Obviously he was trying to answer the question, but I don't understand what he was talking about.)

After IS C answered the question, The Lecturer smiled. IS C smiled too.

The Lecturer : What do you all think? Is it correct?

After a short while,

The Lecturer : Don't give me bull shit answer.

I noticed the face on IS C. Changed abruptly. Kinda insulting.

The Lecturer : Such a simple thing you all don't know. You all are future engineers, can't even answer a simple question like that. You all are year 3 student, without any basic knowledge. 20 years ago, a year 3 student knew much a lot than you do now. I don't know how you all going to pass your interview and get your first job next time. I don't know how will you survive next time. Don't expect your boss will spoon feed you with the solutions. The boss will give you the task and a deadline. You all have to complete the job no matter what way do you use.

I reckon that he has his point. But I guess it's not so hard to talk properly.

He continued. Until a page in the slides, he highlighted 2 paragraph and ask us to read and understand it. He said the paragraph has contained sufficient information on the next slide.

Short after this, he forwarded to the next slide. It's a graphical representation on Eye Patterns or Eye Diagrams.

The Lecturer : After reading the previous slide, do you know how to draw it ? You? (Pointed to Student B).

Student B shook his head and denied. He started to scold again.

The Lecturer : You all don't know English? You all can score 8As 10As last time, so proud, but you can't even understand a simple english like this. Last time our lecturer never teach this when I was in undergraduate. I have to read refrence books and I have to teach you now.

After another lecture for about 20 minutes, he finally released us. And that was the end of the story.

Though his criticism was justified, it was slightly harsh anyway.

9 comments:

Unknown June 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

wtf... no wonder i saw ur face so dark just now... Fuck tat lecturer... keke

Lens Khoo June 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM  

Hahaha ... Luckily I'm not one of the Student A and B.

bernalD June 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM  

May be your lecturer's method was offensive and not effective at all which made him a very lousy lecturer but I believe his intention is good. Because when u come out of the society the bosses are very demanding.

Think from the boss perspective, do you dare to hire someone who cannot explain his own field of professional knowledge or express himself in a professional manner?

Lens, don need to scare him la haha. The opinion I have given is merely my personal experience...

Lens Khoo June 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

Yea. I reckon that his criticism was justified. But the class was really tense up because of him. haha ...

Desmonde d'Crinoline June 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

oooh wow.....that was really harsh n sarcastic lecture! :)

anyway, u not coming bac pg anytime soon?

(*^ー^)ノ* 凯 ** 玮 * June 26, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

I know who is the lecturer.. >.<|||
He seems to hate students and I don't know why he works as a lecturer..
Although his intention is good but it's too hash for students.

Lens Khoo June 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

@Desmond: Hmm ... I'm just in the beginning of my semester. Gonna wait for a long time d.

Lens Khoo June 26, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

@Kae: Ya lor. Maybe he can't do anything else other than lecturing ? hehe.

Desmonde d'Crinoline July 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

haha ok.....

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP